RE: easyplay music using lilypond?

From: Steve Nicholson
Subject: RE: easyplay music using lilypond?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:55:46 -0000

Hi Han-Wen
thank you very much, I have been advocating the advantages of open source
community since I have been using Linux, Zope & python for the last 8 months
(ok so I'm a newbie really).  This is one thing I have been trying to get
across to people about the quick response to fixes etc </end of rant
preaching to converted>.

I will send the example to him and another guy in Canada that is interested
and see what they think.  Will try to make some time next weekend to try it
out and see if it will be simple enough to explain and set up for him.  He
isn't that slow when it comes to technology so think he is up to it though
it might take a bit of time to get up to speed.  I noticed the tutorial
"Running LilyPond" on the www.lilypond.org website needs documentation for
Windows, when I try it out I will document it so we can add this to the
tutorial to help out.

I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again and have a fantastic day.

Steve Nicholson (UK)
on behalf of Dave Nicholson(NZ)

> And I am such a sucker. I was sitting at my desk, thinking about that
> 80 year old man, and getting all soft and runny. Despite my rigorous
> no-new-features-we're-stabilizing mode, I succumbed for the increased
> karma that this hack would give.  Anyway, it was less than 1 hour of
> work, most of which consisting of figuring out how the Postscript arc
> command works without doco.

        http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/lilypond/ez-page1.png

This will be available in 1.3.133. Caveats:

 * You need to set up special page sizes, and use dvips to blow up the
   output, because 26 pt staff size is still too small.

 * No handling of sharps and flats (i'm not sure if that's required.)

 * The staff-lines show through the letters. If you're a clever
   hacker, maybe you can devise a real solution for this. Otherwise:
   you may want to fiddle with the offsets of the text (see ps.scm,
   the ez-ball function)

 * I'm not sure whether using LilyPond beta's (or stable versions for
   that matter) is something your 80 year old father is up to.

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient of any part of this e.mail
please notify us immediately by telephone on +44 ( 0 ) 20 7896 8484
or send it back to address@hidden .
Do not disclose the contents to any other person or take copies.
Please also delete the message from your system.
Views expressed in the message are those of the individual sender,
except where specifically stated to be the views of
FOCUS Central London.

FOCUS Central London Ltd, Centre Point, 103 New Oxford Street,
London, WC1A 1DR
Tel: 020 7896 8484  Fax: 020 7896 8686
E-mail: address@hidden
Web: www.focusnet.uk.com
Registered in England No. 3295148. A company limited by guarantee