Re: copyright question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: copyright question
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:03:15 +0100

An "Urtext" could mean several things, we've had several
related discussions on this list during the years. You should
be able to find them in the searchable archive,
http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/

I can't say anything for certain about the legal situation,
just want to point out that the amount of work behind a good
Urtext edition often could be larger than for a non-scholarly
edition, especially if there are several sources of the piece
(handwritten manuscript(s) and early copies, first editions, ...).

Even if you exclude the explicit editorial remarks, I guess
you could still run into copyright problems. What happens
for example if you copy a misprint, is that copyrighted?
Also, in the case of several contradictory sources, the
editor has decided which version to print as the main
alternative and which to print within parentheses.

For the music I've published or plan to publish, I've been
lucky enough to have access to facsimiles of original
manuscripts or first editions that should be old enough
to avoid any copyright problems.

     /Mats