Re: Gt-tabs and drum-notation

From: David J. Roundy
Subject: Re: Gt-tabs and drum-notation
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:26:29 -0800

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 05:59:08PM -0500, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:

> What if there are two high e strings?

If I understand correctly, the system would have no trouble with this,
because it refers to the string by number, not by pitch.

> Guitar tab is mainly for musical illiterates, who are necessarily
> incompetent as musicians. Are they going to be able to use this or is
> this just for us smart people? ;-)

Hmmm.  They would be able to read the output, but might have trouble
writing the input.  But lilypond isn't really designed to be particularly
easy to create input files for.  Someone could creat a "Denemo for Tab" for
such people.

Personally, if I had to count frets to enter each note, I would go crazy,
but that's probably just because I don't read tab... which makes me wonder
why I'm involved in this discussion, since I neither read or write tab
(although I do write guitar music).  :)
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/