Re: ties in chords

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: ties in chords
Date: 14 Mar 2001 11:37:08 +0100

Joerg Anders <address@hidden> writes:

> > If you tie only two notes, then the third note must be a different
> > voice; it makes no sense not to tie all notes:
> >
> >    \context Voice=one {
> >      <c e> ~ <c e>
> >    }
> >    \context Voice=two {
> >      g  g
> >    }
> >

> Yes, this works! Thank you! But I'm not sure whether I can really
> use it. An automatic generation of these construtions is
> relatively complicated.(?)

This depends.  Normally, this construct would not be a separate
entity, but the two tied chords and the two g's would be part of a
larger voice:

   one = \notes\relative c'' {
      c d e f
      <c e> ~ <c e>
  }

  two = \notes\relative c'' {
      g g
  }

and you'd combine them onto one staff:

   \context Staff=upper < \one \two >

In a `chord' like this, where one note isn't tied, you must have two
voices, because you must have two stems (up and down, or one note
column one shifted horizontally).  It is common practice not to print
all ties in a chord: if you don't put these two voices on different
stems, you're making it an unsolvable (ambiguous) puzzle for the
reader.