Re: Sugar

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Sugar
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:39:54 +0200

> address@hidden writes:
> > get a draft printout of what I had made so far? "Sure!", I answered.
> > ly2dvi phynky.ly
> > ARGH! the screen is suddenly flooded with Bar Check Warnings...
> > How about adding a "panic"-option filling the measure with spaces (or even
> > better: lightning-symbols) every-time a Bar Check Mismatch is encountered?
> > So that you could get some sort of sensible output even from a faulty
> > source.
>
> that's hard to do, because you'd have to insert music "on the fly",
> necessitating hairy communication between music, music-iterators and contexts.
> Why not just fix the score?

Yes, but the problem is that you only find one error at a time and
for a large score, the processing time for Lilypond to find the
next bar alignment error may be very long. This gives a very time
consuming debug loop.

Would it be possible to add an option where Lilypond only typesets
music after a certain bar number? Of course, it still has to
parse and process the full file but the processing for the initial
bars that shouldn't be printed should be possible to do very quickly.
This would be very useful when you enter large scores.

    /Mats