Re: lily 1.4.3

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: lily 1.4.3
Date: 19 Jun 2001 12:34:00 +0200

"William R. Brohinksy" <address@hidden> writes:

> OK. Here's what I had to do to get lily 1.4.3 working on my computer.
> It's mostly bootjack mechanicism. I'll leave it to the people with some
> experience to handle making patches and such.

Good to hear you got it working.  We'll need some specific details if
we are to fix all the scripts, though.

>  Anyway, I did achieve something approaching a virgin condition.

So, it may be that half installed versions give bad results?

> I installed the lily installation using setup. I downloaded the -2
> version for Python, with the included python15.dll, and untarred that by
> hand.

Just curious, why by hand when setup.exe flags new versions and
handles the upgrades for you?

> the lily-miktek.sh in /etc/profile.d not working properly.
> The $texmf wasn't appearing at the begining of the path-insert.

Ok, thanks.  This helps: I found an old bug (I'm sure I found it
before) in that script, this

    # Where we installed it
    c=texmf="/usr/windows/MiKTeX"

needs to be changed to

    c="/usr/windows/MiKTeX"

> To fix the first, I added the following line to the end of
> lily-gs.sh:
> PATH="/usr/windows/gs/gs6.50/bin:/usr/windows/gs/gs6.50:$PATH"

You found another bug, thanks.

The line

   gs650="/usr/windows/gs/gs6.50"

should read:

   gs650="/usr/windows/gs/gs6.50/bin"

> and then, I had to run gsview32, cancel all the error messages, and from
> the menu call up options/Advanced. In the top line, I set
> c:\cgwin\usr\windows\gs\gs6.50\bin\gsdll32.dll

Is this really necessary, now that that bin directory is in the path?

> and I had to correct the two include paths on the next line to point
> where the fonts and .ps files really are.

Hmm, that's hairy.  Could you try to undo that change again, and then
try to fix it by setting environment variables, eg:

    export GS_LIB='c:\cygwin\usr\ ... '
    export GS_FONTPATH='c:\ ... '

(please fill in the dots)  That way, it could be automated.
The script /etc/profile.d/zlily-profile.sh makes an attempt at
pointing these variable to the LilyPond tree...

> Now...I have to figure out what I need to do to make my old .ly's work.
> Maybe Convert-ly is up to this...
>
> <sound of insane giggling, receding into the basement...>

:-)

Again, if you find any contstructs that are not being converted by
convert-ly, please send a report.

Jan.