.ly templates?

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: .ly templates?
Date: 10 Jul 2001 17:44:55 +0200

Hi,

I think it would be a good idea to have a set of template .ly files
for commonly used score types.  The example files in the distribution
already partially fill that need, but ideally they would be
uniformised, include all titling (maybe some stuff commented out),
contain just one measure of simple music, and be clearly tagged as
being a certain template.

Another approach would be to not include any music in the templates,
and standardise the naming of the music, so that you'd do:

    title = 'Piano piece'
    upper = \notes { ... }
    lower = \notes { ... }

    \include "template/piano.ly"

In this case, we'd also need one simple music example file per
template.  This approach can be even easier to use, but is not very
flexible, it only works for simple and uniform pieces.

Possibly some of you already have created something like this?  I was
thinking of having templates for:

  single melody
  melody with lyrics
  melody with lyrics and chords