Re: Type1 fonts

From: maartenwisse
Subject: Re: Type1 fonts
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:28:46 -0400

Mark Hindley <address@hidden> wrote:

> This works really well for me too. I have used it with "lilypond

> -fpdftex". Finally we have nice PDF screen output. Surely this should

> go into the main build as an option.
Hm. Not yet I'm afraid. I did the same trick on the cbgreek fonts and Claudio
Beccari and Syropulos, those who work on these fonts, pointed out that the
fonts which resulted were seriously flawed. Ligatures in particular seem very
difficult for TeXTrace, so where are they in feta? Test them! Therefor, for
feta too, extensive testing is necessary.

Furthermore, Syropulos said that there are also people working on procedures
based on metapost to Type1. There seems to be a script around called mf2pt1
which does this. I would prefer this, because such a procedure would take the
mf instructions really into the type1, whereas the TeXTrace procedure uses the
*output* of mf (really the pk font) as a bitmap and derives vectors from it.
This is not the ideal way, although it seems to works relatively good for the
feta fonts.

But it is a first step, of course, and I as well as you are glad that I can
produce beautiful pdf :-)

Greetings,

Maarten

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/