RE: Type1 fonts

From: Jeff Henrikson
Subject: RE: Type1 fonts
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 02:04:08 -0400

> The problem is determining the outline of a
> stroked, self-overlapping drawing. That involves some nasty
> mathematics. And the feta font definitely uses penstrokes and overlaps.

Arg.  I was thinking that stroking was not heavily utilized.  Didn't look close
enough.  My bad.

> Have you actually read the MetaFog paper by Richard Kinch? Parsing the

I have now.  I get that the envelope computation is a bit involved.  I remember
trying to solve this for fun once before for the
case of a circle stroke along a bezier path and then getting bored (ie,
stumped) before I found an answer.  But it isn't obvious to
me why the "Weeding" thing is so hard so as to be entirely computed by user GUI
interaction.  It seems like a straightforward
application of the beginnings of algebraic topology.  CorelDraw is certainly
able to take unions, intersetions, and differences of
big messes of outlined shapes without problems.  Mysterious.  And the one
sentence discussion "Manual input to the conversion
process is vital, because METAFONT output often has degenerate shapes and
intersections that defy an automatic solution." doesn't
seem to help.

At least I now have an explanation for why stroke to outline conversion is not
a standard feature of high end outline editors such
as CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator.  I have always wondered this.

Jeff Henrikson