Re[4]: .ly templates?

From: Jérémie Lumbroso
Subject: Re[4]: .ly templates?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:56:33 +0200

Hello Jan,

JN> Jérémie Lumbroso <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hi all,
JN> [thanks for sending this here]
Finally  understood  how to use BCC on my mailer (The Bat!)!
:)

>>    Please, I really need all the advice I can get, so please
>>    take the time to download it at :
>>      http://www.lumbroso.fr/LilyWizard.zip

JN> First impression from the screenshot you sent me: Wow!  On second
JN> thought: Oh, but this probably just does [...]
Nop,  I hate that kind of program. Fortunately, I hope, this
program is being made trying to achieve easy start off files
for Lilypond (Windows) users. In the next page (Step 2), you
specify  all the title, subtitle, composer, etc... which are
all  optional  of course. Then you specify which metho you'd
like  to  use (either everything in one file, or putting the
actual  page setup in a separate file you'll include, as you
yourself  suggested).  The  for each different type of music
they'll  be some sort of second step you can choose to do or
not.  For  a  simple melody, this will include selecting the
staff, the time signature, clef signature, tempo, etc...

I'm  aiming  at making it as less as possible a program like
you just specified  :).

JN>     choice = dialog.read ();
JN>     switch choice
JN>        case MELODY:
JN>           f = open ("/usr/share/lilypond/template/melody.ly");
JN>        case SONG:
JN>           f = read ("/usr/share/lilypond/template/melody-lyrics.ly");
JN>     s = f.read ();
JN>     print (s);
BTW, it's being written in Visual Basic, because to me, it's
the quickest language to *model interfaces* (I'm not talking
about functionnality, to which it stinks).

JN> On third thought: Hmm, why is this an advantage over
JN>     C-xi /usr/share/lilypond/template/melody.ly
Hopefully, for all the reasons I quoted.

JN> consider writing it in a python script (think: ly-gen song), with a
JN> (separate) pygtk frontend if you want a gui and have it
JN> cross-platform, so we can include it in lilypond.
I'll  be  glad  to  attempt at writing a Python script (even
though  I't  won't be as good as what I could do in VB/C++),
but  I'm  quite  sure  I'll  not  make  a  tcl/tk  whatever
interface,  for the simple reason I've never managed to make
any of those work on my computer...

--
Best regards,
 Jérémie                            mailto:address@hidden