Re: Lily and Plainsong

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Lily and Plainsong
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:22:34 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> > I have got stuck with trying to group the notes of a single melisma so
> > that they are adjacent. I have stared at spacing-engraver.cc for a
> > long time. It is now late. Am I looking in the wrong place? Any suggestions?
> >From these requirements, I guess a reasonable implementation should be
> based on a context implementation.  Any comments are appreciated!

Hi just a comment: the original grace implementation made all of the
grace notes together in one chunk, based on the idea that grace notes
logically have no duration. We had lots of problems with this
approach:

 * The implementation is messy. The grace context has to have its own
time-bookkeeping, and it contains lots of duplicate engravers.

 * There is no interaction between normal and grace engravers
possible, since the grace engravers are completely encapsulated.

 * It is not possible to align two concurrent grace sections, since
they don't have any timing information in common.

Especially the 2nd point was troublesome: you couldn't slur from grace
to normal notes, or vice-versa (except through a rather crude hack.)
I'm not really sure what kind of approach you want to take, maybe your
idea can work, but be vigilant that you do not duplicating the
problems of the Grace context.

Can you elaborate more on how you're planning to do the engraver part
of ligature support -- or you could even start the implementation with
that part, because my gut feeling is that that will be the hardest.