gnu-search-hackers

[Gnu-search-hackers] unruliness muse

From: Herman Gilbert
Subject: [Gnu-search-hackers] unruliness muse
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:09:37 -0400

Some women have so systematised their costuming in order to bedecorative, at the least possible expenditure of vitality and time(these are the women who dress to live, not live to dress), that theyknow at a glance, if dress materials, hats, gloves, jewels, colour ofstones and style of setting, are for them. The criticism by foreignersthat Americans, both men and women, never appear really at home inevening clothes, that they look as if they felt _dressed_, is true ofthe average man and woman of our country and results from the laxstandards of a new and composite social structure. This picture is known as THE MORNING PROMENADE: SQUIRE HALLET WITH HIS LADY. For the dress, it may have been of dove-grey satin, or pink flowered silk with a black taffeta cape and one of black lace to change off with. But on the whole, women have made great strides inthe matter of costuming with a view to appropriateness and efficiency.CHAPTER VICOLOUR IN WOMAN'S COSTUMEColour is the hall-mark of our day, and woman decoratively costumed, andas decorator, will be largely responsible for recording this age as oneof distinct importance--a transition period in decoration.Colour is the most marked _expression_ of the spirit of the times; colourin woman's clothes; colour in house furnishing; colour on the stage andin its setting; colour in prose and verse.Speaking of colour in verse, Rudyard Kipling says (we quote from aneditorial in the Philadelphia _Public Ledger_, Jan. [Illustration: _Metropolitan Museum of Art_ _Tudor England Portrait of Queen Elizabeth_]Woman to be decorative, should train the carriage of her body fromchildhood, by wearing appropriate clothing for various daily rôles.There is more in this than at first appears. That is, if you have smart, up-to-date models to copy.One woman we know bought the finest quality jersey cloth by the yard,and had a little dressmaker copy exactly a very expensive skirt andsweater. Werecall the beautiful and unique Madame X. Every young child needs to havecultivated a certain degree of self-reliance. Did not the strong red, green, and blueof Napoleon's time follow the delicate sky-blues, rose andsunset-yellows of the Louis?Colour pulses on every side, strong, clean, clear rainbow colour, as ifour magicians of brush and dye-pot held a prism to the sun-beam; violet,orange and green, magentas and strong blue against backgrounds of blackand cold grey.We had come to think of colour as vice and had grown so conservative inits use, that it had all but disappeared from our persons, our homes,our gardens, our music and our literature. She told a group of friends the other day, to whomshe was showing a dainty chiffon gown, posed on a form, that to her, theplanning and making of a lovely costume had the same thrillingexcitement that the painting of a picture had for the artist in thefield of paint and canvas. If you have not done so already, buy or borrow thewonderful Bakst book, showing reproductions in their colours of hisextraordinary drawings, the originals of which are owned by privateindividuals or museums, in Paris, Petrograd, London, and New York. Your French dressmakercombines real and imitation laces in a fascinating manner. The criticism by foreignersthat Americans, both men and women, never appear really at home inevening clothes, that they look as if they felt _dressed_, is true ofthe average man and woman of our country and results from the laxstandards of a new and composite social structure. This picture is known as THE MORNING PROMENADE: SQUIRE HALLET WITH HIS LADY. Form implies the human bodyunder control, ready for immediate action. Every child, if normal, has its goodpoints--hair, eyes, teeth, complexion or figure; and we all know thatmany a stage beauty has been built up on even two of these attributes.Star your good points, clothes will help you. A putty-coloured touring car lined with red leather isvery stunning in itself, but the woman who would look well when sittingin it does not carelessly don any bright motor coat at hand. A great cathedral, a beautiful house, a perfect piece offurniture, a portrait by a master, sculpture which is an object of art,a costume proclaimed as a success; all are the results of knowing andfollowing laws. The result in appearance is similar to a kimono sleeve. This variety of woman nevergets dress off her chest.The catechism of good dressing might be given in some such form as this:Are you fat? If so, never try to look thin by compressing your figure orconfining your clothes in such a way as to clearly outline the figure.Take a chance from your size. It is in two pieces. Athenian. Sargent_]"Form" is the manipulation of the lines of the body to produce perfectbalance, perfect freedom and, when required, perfect control in arrestedmotion. For a gown to be worn when away from home, whenlunching, at receptions or dinners, the first consideration must be_becomingness_,--a careful selection of line and colour that bring outthe individuality of the wearer. The woman in the opera box has the sameproblem to solve as the woman on the stage: her costume must beeffective at a distance. In the stalls, colour and outline of any single costumebecome a part of the mass of colour and black and white of the audience.It is difficult to be a decorative factor under these conditions, yetwe can all recall women of every age, who so costume themselves as tomake an artistic, memorable impression, not only when entering opera,theatre or concert hall, but when seated. Along string of pearls gives great elegance, whether wearer is standingor seated. The ideal pose for any hat is a French secret.The average woman is partially aware that if she would be a decorativebeing, she must grasp conclusively two points: first, the limitations ofher natural outline; secondly, a knowledge of how nearly she canapproach the outline demanded by fashion without appearing acaricature, which is another way of saying that each woman should learnto recognise her own type. Against thebackground of her white neck and the simple lines of her blue gown, thesapphires became decoration with artistic restraint, though they gleamedfrom a coronet in her soft, black hair, encircled her neck many timesand fell below her waist line, clasped her arms and were suspended fromher ears in long, graceful pendants. The woman in the opera box has the sameproblem to solve as the woman on the stage: her costume must beeffective at a distance. Remember that your ethereal blond is invariably at her best inwhite, black (never white and black in combination unless black withsoft white collars and frills) and delicate pastel shades. Against thebackground of her white neck and the simple lines of her blue gown, thesapphires became decoration with artistic restraint, though they gleamedfrom a coronet in her soft, black hair, encircled her neck many timesand fell below her waist line, clasped her arms and were suspended fromher ears in long, graceful pendants. Such a costume may be white, black and anycolour; gold, silver, steel or jet; lace, chiffon--what youwill--provided the fact be kept in mind that your outline be strikingand the colour an agreeable contrast against the lining of the box.Here, outline is of chief importance, the silhouette must be definite;hair, ornaments, fan, cut of gown, calculated to register against thebackground. Also we have here a woman who carries herself with form.