Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Barry deFreese
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:50:12 -0700

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

  What does stowfs give us here that a straight directory tree
  structure wouldn't??

Dynamic nodes.
Dynamic meaning what in this context?

  Understood but my point is, why add another failure point if it's
  not necessary?

How is this "another" failure point? What happens if the database for
say a Debian based system crashes?  What if dpkg misbehaves (stowfs is
more or less what dpkg is, only that it doesn't handle interactive
tasks)?

The dpkg database doesn't affect my already installed applications. I could whack that database right now and still continue to use what I have installed. I could have problems installing another package of course.. :-)

--
Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." Rich Cook.