Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 17:38:32 +0200

       What you are talking about sounds like /bin would get a
       translator.  And /sbin would get another, etc.  That is where
       is looks like Soeren got confused.

   My idea is that they would all use the same translator, with
   slightly different parameters.

I dislike the idea of running an obscure amount of processes for no
particular reason.  One nice example of what happens when you wish to
start a obscure amount of translators is when you try to access all
the files in /dev.  /dev can contain _many_ files, so each access will
start a new process, and soon you will have several hundreds of
translators running.  It can produce the same results as "while (1)
fork ();" if the number of translators to start is big.

If we wish to have one translator for every directory, then we will
have approx ~15 processes extra.  What one could do is to have a
option where one specifes the directories to search.  But this
requires out translator to be set on a directory/file that is accessed
_very_ early.

The whole bootstrapping issue is a very interesting problem and needs
to be pondered about in great detail.

Happy hacking!