Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:30:30 +0200

   I admit I did not even think about these details...

I think that nobody knows the exact details.  Everyone knows more or
less what should be there, but how to make it real is the nut to
crack.

   But if /hurd gets yet another one, we would run into trouble.

Not really.  You could start it the same way you start exec/ext2fs.
Or just use a staticlly linked translator that is set on /hurd.  Not
sure if that will work, but should I think.

   But it is completely off-topic for now.

It isn't.  These are details that must be considered when we write a
packagefs translator.  The whole issue of how you bootstrap the system
is a very important one.

   What about all those subdirectories /var, /home etc. that are not
   controlled by the translator?

Just make the translator on / have a list of paths to search that
exclude /home.  Say:

settrans / /hurd/packagefs --search-path="/bin /sbin /share"

Or something...

   Well, I think we should therefore redefine the purpose of /usr:

The GNU system won't have /usr at all.  It _might_ be a symlink to .
for sometime, but don't depend on it.

Happy hacking.