Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:37:43 +0200 (CEST)

   I am not sure what a "shared-internal-data directory" would mean.
   I do not know whether that term fits my proposal.

This would be the /dev/mydata directory that you described.

It would be even cleaner if one just introduced a "data" directory in
the actual package structure, and use that directly instead of
/dev/mydata.

That is, a binary package could have the following layout:

emacs-21.3/bin/emacs
emacs-21.3/share/info
emacs-21.3/data/etc

Which when linked into /packages the packagefs would "create"
/bin/emacs and /share/info, but ignore data/etc since it wouldn't be
in the list of directories that we "care about".  Emacs would then
just figure out where its data really is.  Say that it has its data in
alle eg. ~/emacs-21.3 then emacs would just use ~/emacs-21.3/data/etc
to access any files/directoris it needs directly, instead of going
through /dev/mydata.

   If you think there is a reason to put these files into /share,
   could you tell me what it is?

Okie, now I know where our trouble lies, you have been talking about
the specific case of the etc and lisp directories in Emacs.  And that
the directories that contain the info pages
(/packages/emacs/share/info), would still be avaiable in /share/info.