info dir translator

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: info dir translator
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:12:54 +0200

Hi

This is a outline for a idea for a trsnaltor that would be useful in
the GNU system.  I am just tossing it out so that if someone has some
time to implement it, they can do that based on this.  I will probobly
implement it in the future if nobody beats me to it.

The idea is that the file /share/info/dir should be automaticly
generated from all the files located in /share/info. This information
should be cached, and only a update should be needed when one either
modifes a file, or adds a file in /share/info.

Of course this would mean that if we don't store the cached result in
a seperate file, say /share/info/dir.cache we must rebuild everything
between reboots.

The idea is quite simple, all one needs to do is essentially what
install-info does but as a translator instead.

Would anyone like, or does anyone know a person who would like to
implement this?