Re: CD booting

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: CD booting
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 02:00:57 +0100

   I have attempted making a bootable GNU cd.

Great work!

   Anyone have any ideas?

A couple actually.  The one that jumps out into my face is
translators, we need support for them.  If you can set a translator on
a ISO image that you have "mounted"[0] and it works, then this is a
good thing.  If it doesn't, we are going to be quite screwed, since
translators are vital for even booting GNU.

But if this works, could you try creating a ISO image that you use for
a sub-hurd?  It just needs to be minimal, the Hurd+bash+dependencies
should do the trick.  And then modifing say hurd.boot (located in the
Hurd CVS) to use iso9660fs instead of ufs as the root file-system
translator.  There are some notes in the Hurd reference manual about
sub-hurds too.

This should narrow down the things that can be wrong.

[0] I _hate_ the word mount, we really need a better word for setting
a translator on a node, i.e. the equivialent to "mounting" on
GNU/Linux and the like.

Jolly good hacking!