Re: Anything to do?

From: Luis F. Araujo
Subject: Re: Anything to do?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:16:21 -0400

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

   I meant to copy packages trees into the /stow directory.

Why copy anything into anywhere?  I can't see why copying files is
needed for package installation on the Hurd.  My original proposal was
that /bin and other such dirs would be constructed virtually by a
special file system handler.  Instead of putting a symlink into /bin,
you just change the data from which the contents of /bin are computed.

Why not do it this way?
Yes.

** packagefs/stowfs

This would be the package manager for GNU, it would sit on /package
and then "merge things into /, i.e. /packages/*/bin becomes /bin.
Installation is done by:

tar -xzvf emacs-21.1.tgz
ln -s /packages/emacs-21.1 emacs-21.1

And deinstallation would be to simply remove /packages/emacs-21.1.