Re: info-dir translator

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: info-dir translator
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:01:03 -0400

      The translator almost always sits on /share/info/dir.
      It watches a directory and any other dirs below it for file notifications.

It may as well be able to watch multiple directories.
That won't be any harder to implement.

      There's a locking issue here.
      We have to P() on changing the underlying the /share/info/dir file.

There is no need to have one.  The data can be calculated in core
inside the translator, and kept there.

      installing an info page:

        $ cp /tmp/yorick.info.gz /share/info/

Under the intended GNU packaging system, we won't really be copying
this file.  Rather, the translator which handles /share/info will
decide that it should be present virtually.

That won't have any effect on the operation of the info-dir translator,
but I want to make sure the wrong idea does not start.