Re: No to StowFS!

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: No to StowFS!
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:07:09 -0600

    Doesn't find know enough not to follow symlinks to directories?

Indeed, by default, it does not follow symlinks to directories.

    I would think it ought to.

        find / -P -name FOO

    What does -P do?  I don't see it in the documentation of find
    on my machine.

It's in the info manual, although it's not in the --help output (I'll
tell the maintainer):

     Three options can precede the list of files.  They determine the way
  that symbolic links are handled.

       Never follow symbolic links (this is the default), except in the
       case of the `-xtype' predicate.

       Always follow symbolic links, except in the case of the `-xtype'

       Follow symbolic links specified in the list of files to search, or
       which are otherwise specified on the command line.