gnu-system-discuss

Re: GNU System Explanation

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GNU System Explanation
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:12:33 +0100

   > > Can someone please give me a concise explanation of what the
   > > intended goals are here?
   >
   > The goal is to make package installation and removal as easy as
   > cp and rm.

   Some pre/post installation stuff seems needed.

We should try and minimise all pre/post installation stuff.  I have
yet to see a case where it is infact _required_, and cannot be done in
a different, cleaner way.

   $ tar -zxvf my_program.tar.gz
   $ cd my_program/
   $ ./configure --prefix=/packages/my_program
   $ make
   $ make install

Actually, it would be more in tune with: ./configure --prefix= && make
install DESTDIR=/packages/foo && ln -s /packages/foo /stow.  But that
is the general gist of it all.

   In this case I'd have a source-based package manager already
   available.

   http://www.gnu.org/software/sourceinstall/sourceinstall.html

We should hopefully be able to use that for purley source code based
things.  But most users simply wish to use binary packages (which is
quite understandable).

Cheers.