Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:35:52 +0200

[Catching up sorry for the long delay]

   In my opinion, what the Hurd needs right now, and first of all, is
   a maintainer which applies patches and, once that works, some sort of
   advertising to attract new hackers.

Alas, I must agree with you. I also tried several times to "enter
the dance" of the Hurd hacking but I never had a chance to see
whether my contributions could be of any help. So I tried to
contact the french Hurd team and here it also seems dead. There
is no activity at all (except conferences and stuff like that).

Given the fact I do not like working for /dev/null, I stopped to
mirror anything. By the way, it would be really cool and indeed,
helps a lot, to dispose of a *real* and *alive* web page so that
any user or interested people could see what's the current status
of the GNU. Currently, there is absolutely no (easy) way to
access to this information. I have the impression that all Hurd
hackers are just « muted ». At last, every time I am looking for
information and status, I feel like I always get the same
answers, years after years I feel Hurd is worst.

I am feeling sad that nobody can take the leadership on a so cool
project, I am also feeling sad to see that the (very) tiny Hurd
community can't discuss the project; there are pro-GNU and
pro-Debian.

Why the FSF or the GNU project does not designate a project
leader ? Why is there no visibility on this project for any
external eye ? What about an official *up to date* website (with
all needed informations to attract new hackers) ? ...

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org