Re: question about historical GNU System releases

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: question about historical GNU System releases
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:54:17 +0200 (CEST)

   > > Well, I don't know, but I assume that ams stopped working and
   > > Marcus appeared and did the things, which turned out to become
   > > Debian/Hurd.
   >
   > AFAIK Alfred wasn't around yet at that time. He certainly wasn't
   > responsible for the 0.2 release.

   Sorry, I have swapped release and snapshot, which lead to wrong
   interpretations of what I've read (ie that ams does not want to make a new
   snapshot, but that was about 2 years ago on some site I do not find right
   now). Thanks for clearing this out.

No, I do not see a _need_ to make a new one, since not much has
changed.  Things would look exactly the same as they do with the
current snapshot.

   > Also, some now believe that not having released for such a long
   > time, expectations have risen, and thus no further releases
   > should be made unless it's close to perfect... Silly argument
   > IMHO; but well, I'm not the one to decide.

   I am not the one to decide either, but I think a release is possible within
   the next 5 (to be pessimistic).

I don't, not even in a 10 year frame to be honest.  We said the exact
same thing in 1997 infact, that in 5 years we would have a (as usable
as any GNU/Linux system out there) system, now it is 10 years later.