Re: A proposed Roadmap

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: A proposed Roadmap
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:43:24 +0200

   GNU/Linux _is_ a GNU system, no matter what we do we will never be
   vastly different to warrent anyone to switch over just because it is
   GNU.  If we can be different, I'd like to hear those ideas with a
   explanation why it cannot be added to Linux, Solaris, ...

I can tell you what is my idea about this. My interest in having a GNU
kernel for the GNU operating system has nothing to do with technical
aspects, but with polithics.

The Linux development is managed by a person who doesnt agree with the
ideals of the free software movement. I cannot trust that
person. AFAIK the copyright holder for Solaris is SUN. I cannot trust
that company.

Linux is released under the terms of the GPL version 2, and it seems
that the Solaris kernel will be released under the terms of the GPL
version 3. That is: free kernels. But the FSF may need to write a new
version of the GPL in the future to face new problems. Will torvalds
or SUN switch to that new license?