Re: question about historical GNU System releases

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: question about historical GNU System releases
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:35:01 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 07:54:17PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>    What Alfred is claiming is that there would be not much difference
>    between the latest *snapshot* of GNU -- which he released at the
>    beginning of 2006 IIRC -- and a new snapshot made now.  (IMHO
>    that's not true BTW; there were some pretty relevant improvements.
>    But well...)
>
> Could you point them out to me?  Maybe we should make a new one in
> that case.

>From the top of my head:
- Some important fixes (mostly to gnumach), at least one of them
  considerably improving stability
- Some fixes for more or less annoying bugs in gnumach, glibc, hurd
- Implementation of fastmath, fixes to pthread linking, and various
  other fixes to make much more programs compile and/or run properly
- Some (small) performance improvements
- Fixes to some drivers, and for machines with a lot of RAM
- Some PCMCIA support

I'm sure I forgot many more. And of course, not all of them are in
upstream CVS yet, so it requires some patch-hunting...

-antrik-