Re: GSoC 2008 - some questions

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: GSoC 2008 - some questions
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:34:32 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:18:45PM +0100, krzysztof blicharski wrote:

> Hello I'm Krzysiek Blicharski I'm a student considering applying to
> one of hurdish TCP/IP stack or improved NFS implementation projects.

> I have some experience in programming especially in C (~7 years),
> using Linux and know some basics about the Linux kernel (especially
> network stack). Together with my friends I conduct a project - we
> write the operating system for which I wrote network stack (a few
> protocols) based on linux kernel. I also have basic knowledge about
> file systems. What I don't have is extensive experience with Hurd.
>
> What I want to ask the community here is on which project should I
> concentrate and ask for more information about those projects.

That really depends on your own preferences and skills... :-)

We can help you if you have some specific questions regarding these
projects, of course.

> The hurdish TCP/IP stack is a enormous project, so I think that the
> man who will take this project will work only on some parts of it,
> what are you expecting from such man to do?

Well, the idea was to come up with the basic structure, and implement at
least some components for the most important protocols and features. I
hoped that would be doable in the available time, but if you say it
isn't... You are the one having more experience in this field. What
would you suggest?

-antrik-