Re: A GNU Distribution

From: Christophe Poncy
Subject: Re: A GNU Distribution
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 07:52:52 +0200

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 18:25:47 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
For most users, I think graphical package selection is the principal
interface for package installation.  This would be dselect in Debian.
Whatever underlying interface is used, we have to make this
convenient.

There was a graphical interface to portage named Himerge. The project is not maintained anymore, but I know it was usable in the 2008/2009 years. The tool was convenient enough in allowing to browse in the portage tree and control all actions of *emerge*, the command used to manage portage . It was just an interface, with no feature added to *emerge*. It was the graphical way to interact with *emerge*.

christophe

--
Support free software! Join FSF:
https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom?referrer=4574