Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 04:24:31 -0500

   As I can see it, the only "effort" missing is the GNU project
   declaring that this is the official GNU system.

Exactly, and that isn't a high priority (for the project as a whole --
we all have our own priorities) -- making one more non-free program
is.

Personally, I would be very sad to see a release of the GNU system
that does not allow a user the same technical freedoms as the Hurd
provides.  But that is another topic, biased by history.