Re: What to call Guix

From: 白い熊
Subject: Re: What to call Guix
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:25:25 +0100

On 2015年1月16日 21:21:25 CET, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote: --
>We cannot give it a name like that.  To call a distro "the GNU system
>distribution" would come across as a rejection of gNewSense, Trisquel,
>etc.  Those distros are important contributions to our community, and
>promoting them is an important goal for the GNU Project.
>
>Therefore, my decision is that the GNU Project will not name a distro
>by a name that appears to say it is above all other distros in
>importance to us.  I'm also the judge of whether any name has that
>problem.

I like GNUix very much. In light of the above it's even more attractive.

It doesn't downgrade any other distro, yet with a very clever letter play
brings to mind GNU as well as Guix.

It's short, has a nice sound, utilizes the historical -ix ending, it seems to
me to be esthetically pleasing.

Doesn't depend on system/distribution... puzzling for a newbie.

Finally, has "mascot" potential - we could develop a mascot, who would be
called "GNUix", I guess a Gnu of some sort and then incorporate him into the
logo of the distribution.

I think this would be a very good name.
--
address@hidden