package management

From: Marcus Moeller
Subject: package management
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:12:26 +0200

Hi all.

I managed to install the latest version of GuixSD on my Libreboot Laptop.

Everything works fine, but I got a few questions:

1. I would like to install Icecat and some additional packages. My first
try was to run guix package -i icecat which installed icecat into
/gnu/store/...

When I now start the binary directly from that directory, it works fine,
but it does not appear in path nor in the Xfce menu.

Do I need to run any additional command to make it visible?

2. Is this the way to handle package installation or should I instead
modify the system configuration and run

sudo guix system reconfigure /path/to/config.scm

afterwards?

3. How can I modify configuration files of services like ntp? I guess
this does not work the way I know it by just placing the relevant files
into /etc. Can this be done via system configuration as well? If so,
could you please provide an example, e.g. to set a custom time server to
poll?

Greets
Marcus