Re: state of gnuradio freedom and security issues (was: gnuradio project

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: state of gnuradio freedom and security issues (was: gnuradio project DoS..)
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 23:19:45 -0500

  > problem 1) Freedom 0: GNU Radio Foundation, Inc. ("GRFI") is stopping
  >            GNU wget users, lynx, and cURL users from using their
  >            browser software (wget, lynx, and curl) how they want in
  >            the course of obtaining the GNU Radio manual.

I'm sorry to say it, but you've misunderstood the meaning of freedom
0.  Freedom 0, applied to a program P, means that P's license doesn't
restrict how you are allowed to use it.

Wget, lynx, and curl are free software, and they give you freedom 0:
you re legally permitted to run them in any way you wish, including
this case using the GNU Radio web site (or any other).  But the
developers of these programs can't ensure all web sites will handle
the request as you wish.

GNU Radio is free software, with freedom 0: you re legally permitted
to run GNU Radio in any way you wish.  That has nothing to do with
your complaint -- you are not running GNU Radio in this scenario.

I think it is unfortunate that the GNU Radio web site blocks some ways
of accessing it.  But the problem is easy enough to work around, even
using or.

  > problem 2) GRFI violates the GFDL requirement that the manual be
  >            distributed with the software.

The GFDL does not require that.

  > problem 3) GRFI violates the GFDL requirement that the manual be
  >            available in a simple format.

The GFDL reqquires distributing a _transparent_ format, and
one is available.

--
Dr Richard Stallman