gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Strings and parameter lists

From: Gerard Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] Strings and parameter lists
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:54:22 +0100

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 08:37 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

Is your plan to design/implement a "RIB loader" which creates a 3DKit scene graph from a RIB file or are you planning to come up with a "stream processor" which feeds the RIB to the renderer of choice directly?

My plan is to have RIB as a file format for 3DKit, hence it does mean RIB --> 3D scene editable....

What do you think.

In the meantime, maybe the design of the parser would permit to build what we want from the RIB file.

In fact I am using this target to combine 3Dkit test plus something very very usefull.

If we come with an open source RIB file format parser enough generic ...

Well, to me it is not a question of speed but more of design philosophy. It is a different style to use dictionaries for argument passing than C argument lists. But I agree that we should use dictionaries, and if we find out that the programming model becomes too cumbersome (or too slow) to use then we can still change it in the implementation phase.

Perfect :)

Gerard