gnu3dkit-dev

Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] G3DRenderer - polygons

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-dev] G3DRenderer - polygons
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:44:55 +0100

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 11:57  Uhr, Brent Gulanowski wrote:
Regarding the method declarations:

- (void)drawPolygon:(int)numVerts params:(NSDictionary *)pDict;
//extern RtVoid RiPolygon(RtInt nverts, ...);

etc.

If you are following the Ri consistently, then pDict contains a pointer back into the array of vertices, plus optional pointers to normals, colours, etc. Correct? Or do you intend to adhere to data hiding and include the data values in the dictionary? Or make it user's choice?

The decision was to go with a pure OO design and thus use a dictionary for passing variable argument lists. If this will be a bottleneck or overhead we can change it easily afterwards. But I am not lucky with this current API, it looks to heavy weight, what do you think (to be consequent even the numVerts in the above example should be part of the params dictionary...)?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip