gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] G3DKit.info - renderer questions

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] G3DKit.info - renderer questions
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:10:36 -0500

On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 05:23 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

My terminology here is:

o [action] a highlevel "job" to be performed on the scene graph, ie. culling data for the active frustum. This is thus generic.

o [task] a specific low-level "job" performed by the render engine, ie. switching a state (simple) or drawing arbitrary geometry (complex). This is thus specific.

Do you think this is a bad choice? I can see both possibilities, as long as it is used consistently...:-)

I'm pretty sure that, wherever you slice it, the word "action" means some particular activity, usually a well-defined activity or process. An action has no ambiguity. It also has little or no implicit impact on a state. It may have no consequences at all. A task is different in both ways -- it usually does not define the particular process followed to complete the task (which may be actions, or may be sub-tasks which are themselves composed of specific actions), and it does imply a meaningful change of state. There's a grey area between them, but in this case, I recommend swapping the terms.

--
Brent Gulanowski                                address@hidden

http://inkubator.idevgames.com/
Working together to make great software.