gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Advanced Rendering Interface

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] Advanced Rendering Interface
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:54:43 +0100

On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 02:15  Uhr, Gerard Iglesias wrote:
Happy new year and best wishes....

Thanks, same 2u all!

On Thursday, December 26, 2002, at 01:18 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
OK you want to make a new QuickRenderman implementation, not a bad idea, in fact maybe it is a real good idea and make sense on the Mac platform ;)

I am not sure if a pure QRM implementation would be worth it, but I have to look more into this... anyway, the most interesting part would probably be the RenderMan shader language.

Sorry to be more precise I was thinking of implementing the Renderman API in OpenGL, that is using real time rendering technique to implement shaders, but that is true that it doesn't mean getting something running in real time....

QRM was a simplification of the rendering process to get something running at a correct speed on a NeX 68040 ;)

QRM was very limited - shading was essentially not there. I am not sure that we need a RenderMan renderer anymore, but if we can implement a shading language/compiler which is compliant to the RenderMan Shading Language but uses an OpenGL backend, this would be almost perfect..:-)

And sure the tough part will be to implement renderman shader in OpenGL, in fact a very interesting engineering/research problem, good point and a subject by itself, good ....

Yup ...:-) It is like reimplementing SGI OpenGL Shader, and I am not sure I am allowed to work on such a beast.

If it is additional stuff, yes why not - esp. having more physics functionality would be cool! As for the current C implementation, I think it is quite well optimised, but then there are always ways to improve..

I was thinking about new geometrical stuff, there is also physical stuff in it, a simple port would be possible, I don't think that the given code is very optimised, and I will take a look at the licensing agreement.

You mean you want to integrate some existing code into the GeometryKit? What is it you want to integrate into the GeometryKit, if I may ask?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip