gnu3dkit-discuss

Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] 3DeLight

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: [Gnu3dkit-discuss] 3DeLight
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:52:36 +0100

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 04:38  Uhr, Brent Gulanowski wrote:
On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 05:21  AM, Gerard Iglesias wrote:
Hi,

Maybe we have a good reason to make a usefull application based on 3DKit. This application would be able to read a rib file then render it with the 3Dkit engine, then allow some kind of modification and allow also to render it with 3Delight, it is free of charge for non commercial use, it is very good, don't you think ?

I think there are lots of good reasons to make applications based on 3DKit!

I hope so, if not, why should we spend time on the 3DKit then?...:-)

Reading a RIB file will require an import facility, to convert it to the native 3DKit representation. The design of 3DKit should be able to handle that easily enough, but someone will have to write the import plug-in. My understanding is that we will initially use text and binary serializations of the internal data types for our file formats, similar to what was in v0.3. Plug-ins for import form/export to other file formats would also be good.

Well, NSCoding should/will be supported, of course. But the scene archiving will not be available anymore, apart from that I really like the idea of using RIB as the native format. We'll see how 'easy' this can be achieved though.

In order to render using 3Delight, we would need to use RenderMan API internally, correct? I haven't seen any indication (from Phil) that the G3DRenderAction (and complementary OpenGL Renderer bundle) included in RenderKit will use the actual RenderMan API, which means this application would need to provide a custom render Action to do so. Again, the design anticipates this, but I doubt it will be present when the RenderKit is put back into CVS. I think, however, that it would do great things for 3DKit's reception if a realistic proposal is made to do what you are suggesting.

I currently follow the idea of using a RenderMan subset (similar as QRM) as the 3DKit's native graphics API. This API would then be implemented by concrete renderers (ie. using OpenGL), so creating a RIB stream would be somehow possible natively.

Hopefully Phil can enlighten us some more on his intentions. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink :-)

I am terribly sorry for the recent silence from my side. I was just too busy to be able to work on the 3DKit...sigh But I am happy to announce that from now on will be able to spend at least 1 day a week working on my research work, which includes the 3DKit - so faster progress should be realistic. Moreover I made real progress wrt the new API, I hope to be able to publish this within the next few days so that we can discuss my proposal in details.

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip