gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [bug #52674] Correcting extra linking warnings during c

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [bug #52674] Correcting extra linking warnings during compilation
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 11:55:50 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

When linking the libraries, currently Gnuastro uses the `-pthread' option two
times! This can lead to the following linking warning on some systems (this is
from Mac OS X):

clang: \cf4 warning: \cf2 argument unused during compilation: '-pthread'
[-Wunused-command-line-argument]\

Another strange source of linker warning is that the two directories `../lib'
and `../../lib' are used with `-L' for both programs and the library. However,
only the first is necessary for the library and the second is necessary for
the programs. On the system above, we get this linker warning (first when
finalizing the libraries, the second after each program):

ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L../../lib'
ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L../lib'

I can't figure out why it is doing this!?! In `configure.ac', we only add
`$(top_builddir)/lib' to `LDFLAGS'!

It would be cleaner if we correct these warnings.

In particular, the second one may be a security issue: Since when building the
libraries, it will first look into `../../lib' (outside of Gnuastro) and
someone can put a bad library there to link against.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?52674>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/