RE: [open-cobol-list] invalid VALUE clause

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] invalid VALUE clause
Date: Tue Feb 17 01:57:12 2004

You are correct that numeric-edited items must have alphanumeric literals in
their value clause (and I was in error).  There is a "relevant note" on page
370 of the 2002 Standard which says,

"NOTE The programmer is responsible for specifying the numeric-edited, or
national-edited item in edited form."

But as that is ONLY a note, the compiler certainly is not required to
"restrict" VALUE clauses to those that match the picture clause.