RE: [open-cobol-list] Status of Cobol

From: Pierre Brico
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] Status of Cobol
Date: Tue Jun 8 23:35:08 2004

Hello Jim,

I've discovered OpenCobol a few months ago. I was searching an open source
Cobol compiler and OpenCobol was the most developed. Keisuke has done a very
good job ! The big advantage of OpenCobol is that it generates C code for gcc.
That means you can compile your code on whatever machine on which gcc exists !
Negative side, the compilation time is longer than with a commercial compiler
(to compile a routine of 21369 lines, OC (with maximum code optimization) needs
10.56 sec. on Sun Fire 880. Note 95% of this time was taken by gcc itself).

Our cobol application is composed of about 3000 programs (4 million lines of
cobol) and we use Microfocus Cobol to compile it. Unfortunately, MF has some
extensions to cobol standards that we used without knowing. As a result many of
the programs didn't compile due to minor causes. I modified OpenCobol in order
to accept some of the MF specificities and now all our sources compiled and ran
without any problem.

The only negative thing is about performances. I think there is still a lot of
work to optimize the generated code to obtain performances as good as MF does.

Still again thanks to Keisuke.

Pierre Brico