Re: [open-cobol-list] Regarding Cobol Copybook

From: Gary Cowell
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Regarding Cobol Copybook
Date: Tue Jun 15 01:08:07 2004

 --- "E. Narayanan" <address@hidden> wrote: >

> - Is there any standard specification for copybook
> which I can reference. Searching on google only
> yielded examples of copybooks rather than the spec
> itself.

There's no spec for a copybook AFAIK. They're just
fragments of source code, from any part of a cobol
program, working storage, linkage section, procedure
division or whatever.  They are included into the main
body of the cobol program by use of the COPY verb. The
copy verb may be used to replace one or more tokens in
the copybook with something else.

e.g.

         COPY FILE-UTIL REPLACING ==FILE1== BY
MY-INPUT-FILE

so as to be able to write generic copybooks that can
be included in many programs by way of replacing
generic tokens with names specific to the program
being copied into.

I don't know if this is enough for you, but it's all I
can distill from memory about copybooks.

Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com