[open-cobol-list] CVS 2005-03-03

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] CVS 2005-03-03
Date: Thu Mar 3 13:56:13 2005

CVS updated - Highlights :

Bump version to 0.32 to get ready for next release.

LINAGE implemented.
Test results in tests/cobol85 updated as we now pass these
NIST tests.

New optimization option "-Os"
This appears in most cases to generate better code than "-O2".

If applicable, pass the strip command from configure to the compiler.
With optimization options "-Os" and "-O2", the resultant main/module
will automatically be stripped. I decided this way as we are running
short on options and I don't think it is unreasonable.

If we are using GNUc (gcc) and gcc >= 3 then we pass some
other compile options with any optimization (-O, -Os, -O2).
One of these is the "-finline-functions" which we will need in the
near future to force function inlining. (eg. prime candidates
cob_decimal_set and cob_decimal_set_int)

Fixes:
If an input file to the compiler did not exist, we were leaving an
empty preprocess file (cobXXXXX.cob) in the temporary directory.

With an (MF)  ASSIGN TO impilicit data-item, whereby the data-item
was never referenced, we were producing non-compilable C code.

A "make check" was leaving an empty file named "FILENAME" in the
temporary directory. (See also cobXXXX.cob above)

Change some bit field definitions from long to int.

Clean up the OC tests a little.

If we ever ABORT'ed (of course, we don't do that do we :-) ),
and were in the codegen phase, it was difficult to determine
where the problem was. We now flush the generated C code buffer
so that after an ABORT, inspection of the incomplete ".c" file
(at the end) will determine the problem cobol statement.

* As usual  :-)  recompile all application programs.

COMING UP :
I want to get 0.32 out of the door fairly soon,  so depending on my time
I may squeeze none, one or more of the following into 0.32 :
Optimization/inlining
Nested programs
User defined entry points (eg. database calls or own C routines
whereby we want to generate direct C calls and not go into
cobol library to resolve the entry point)
COMP-1/2 basics

Roger