Re: [open-cobol-list] Re: Deprecating db1

From: Alain Lucari
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Re: Deprecating db1
Date: Tue Apr 5 11:45:15 2005

Hi Roger,

As I don't understand english very well, I don't know
if you are more true than Bernard on license problem
(unless it seem to me that it is really a license problem
using DB-2 or newer)
But my idea is "for what you want to deprecate DB-1 ?"
some problem with lenght of records in sort ...  perhaps,
but it is sufficient to write in the DOCUMENTATION :
"if you use DB-1, the maximum lenght record is (20..)"

I am using Open-cobol from more than three years in production
and I remember how many problem I had before for
compiling TC with DB-1,2,3,4 ...
On all my sites I have somes files (so less as I can)
built with DB-1.

So, unless you have a very good reason, KEEP DB-1.

(sure, my english is not good, but answer in french ;-)

Best regards
--
Alain Lucari (Eurlix)