RE: [open-cobol-list] New to the Compiler

From: Bill Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] New to the Compiler
Date: Fri Apr 22 00:44:18 2005

<snip>

> For example, consider the following expression:
>
>    (X = 1 OR 2) OR < 3 OR Y = 4
>
> This must be read as "(X = 1) OR (X = 2) OR (X < 3) OR (Y = 3)".
> You need several look-ahead tokens to parse this expression,
> and it is not straitforward to write it in yacc.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but the actual examaple is
wrong.  What you say WOULD be true for:

  X = 1 OR 2 OR < 3 OR Y = 4

but the parentheses in your original example take priority over "combined
abreviated conditional" statements.  (There may be some implementation with
another extension, but not the ones that I know of)