[open-cobol-list] Update 20060402

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Update 20060402
Date: Sun Apr 2 03:13:02 2006

No CVS update as SourceForge CVS is down.
See Site Status https://sourceforge.net/docs/A04/

Snapshot tarball (aka Prerelease) at:
http://www.sim-basis.de/open-cobol-0.33.tar.gz

Fix compiler abort reported by Bob.
I am slowly working my way through the calls
to ABORT in the compiler. Many of these are
valid in the sense that they cater for an
"impossible" value in a switch statement.
However, it is known that we do not do enough
type checking and is an ongoing item.

Fix codegen.h as reported by Bob.
Actually there was some other wrong stuff in
there as well.
As regards un-inlining, we can either move it to
the library or we can further split the routines as
we a) know the endianness, b) know the field type
and c) know the operation. I will take a look at this.

Extension to the ALPHABET clause
(Bill, this is extension stuff not defined in standard)
In the case of ALPHABET xxx IS EBCDIC, we have
always followed what MF does. This is peculiar in the
fact that eg. for a SORT, it does not use the full 256
character translation as documented in the appendices
of the MF User Guide/Language Reference.
What happens if you define a one character sort field
and feed it with all values from 0 to 255, is that the
(decimal) values 128 to 255 get put at the end.
The "ebcdic" values are then "compressed" into the
first 128 values.
We retain this behaviour per default but allow an override
at compile time to use the full ebcdic table by
setting/exporting COB_EBCDIC=FULL

On the same note, there is an experimental extension
to ALPHABET name usage. We allow it's use in other
than it's normal context eg.
ALPHABET alpha IS EBCDIC
ALPHABET gamma IS NATIVE
INSPECT myrecord CONVERTING alpha TO gamma.
Note, in this case, the FULL EBCDIC table will always be used.
(The SORT will still be dependant on COB_EBCDIC per above)
Of course you may have your own defined ALPHABET sequence.

Allow the optional word DISK, optionally preceeded by
optional EXTERNAL or DYNAMIC in the SELECT statement.

Fix a configure mistake for AIX 64.
(Sergey, I believe the AR/NM settings were wrong, please check)

Roger