[open-cobol-list] CVS Update 20060405

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] CVS Update 20060405
Date: Thu Apr 6 04:13:14 2006

CVS updated. (SourceForge is back up)
Snapshot tarball (aka prerelease) at :
http://www.sim-basis.de/open-cobol-0.33.tar.gz

This contains the changes listed in the mail
"Update 20060402".

Also :

Fix the "CLASS" clause SPECIAL-NAMES
definition/usage. This was not differentiating
numeric/non-numeric literals.

Fix for the minimal one-liner program
PROGRAM-ID. MYPROG.

Run indent on the last remaining
non-generated C source.
(Eventually needs a little more tidying as
 in some circumstances the code is moved
 a bit too far to the right for comfortable reading)

Thanks to Sergey for spotting this -
This one has been lurking for more than 2 years.
At some stage (ca. 2003), the config option
"top-level-occurs-clause" got put in allowing
an OCCURS at the 01 level.
However, the field memory allocation never got
updated to cater for this.
Fixed.

---------------------

I would like some input on the following :
I came across a couple of mainframe apps which
rely on the fact that non-initialized working storage
items would be set to low-values regardless of definition.
In OC, the default (regardless of the "-std=" option) is to
initialize according to field type (config option "auto-initialize").
Of course, one can define one's own configuration file
("xxx.conf") and set "auto-initialize" to "no" which effectively
leaves uninitialized fields set to low values (binary zero).
I wonder if we should have a compile option for this.
("-N" or "-n" are currently available, or something else
 "-fxxxx")
This is what MF's "DEFAULTBYTE" does.

---------------------
** NOTE --- READ **
Forthcoming changes (within the next few days)

The "-fmain" and "-fruntime-inlining" will be taken out.
These have been marked as deprecated in the help text
for some time now.
The "-fmain" is superceeded by the "-x" option.
The "-fruntime-inlining" is redundant.
Optimization (at the C compiler level) is achieved
with the "-O", "-Os", "-O2" options with the latter
producing the fastest code (generally speaking)

The default when neither "-x" nor "-m" is specified
will be changed from creating an executable
(implied "-x") to creating a module (implied "-m")
Warnings will still be produced at this stage but
will be removed for the final release.

Roger