Re: [open-cobol-list] Cobcurses installation problem.

From: Alain
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Cobcurses installation problem.
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:23:50 +0100

Hi,

Seeing that you have no answer, my halph-penny contribution ;-)

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 09:42:25 -0500
John Culleton <address@hidden> wrote:

(snip)

>   10  SCR-0015 PIC X(023)
>       VALUE "
>       3.Author:".

As, like me, you use the free syntax, you should know that in cobol free
syntax, a line is, seem to me, 255 c of length.
What can done a line withe 'VALUE "'
and an other with '3.author:"'

Cobol is a beautifull langage, but like other has is syntax, so you should try
to put that on a single line, like
   10  SCR-0015 PIC X(023)       VALUE "3.Author:".

or, at less, if you really want to write this on TRHEE LINES,

   10  SCR-0015 PIC X(023)
       VALUE
       "3.Author:".

Else, try to use PYTHON !

> The error message refers to the fact that AUTHOR is not in COBOL 2002.
> There
> are lots of such literals so I hesitate to debug by putting everything on one

Have you done that ? and what was the result ?

> line.  In legacy layout one would use a "-" in column 7 but of course this is

In legacy format (I have used 30 years, because no other, you have about 65
chars per line (72-7) ... in free format you have 255 !!!

> in free form.  The Makefile generates this error message:

> cobc -c -Wall -Wno-call-params  -std=cobol2002 -I../copybk -free
> sd002010.cob -o sd002010.o
> SD002010-WS.cbl:36: Error: Author does not conform to COBOL 2002

Sure, with your first '"' displacead, the compilator is lost
but you can try to write else or use an other flavour.

(snip)
> Does anyone have experience with cobcurses? Is it worth the trouble? I have
> Slackware 12 Linux.   My OC alternatives are to try some sort of cgi
> interface, or Tcl/Tk, or whatever.

No I've not, at this time, but I try that as soon as possible, when I have
resolved the probles I have now, seeming that O-C-1.0 use 64 bits chars ???

> --
> John Culleton

best regards,
--