Re: [open-cobol-list] GUI -- wxWidgets?

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] GUI -- wxWidgets?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:48:18 -0500

Hello everyone

I replied to the original poster with

http://add1tocobol.com/tiki-index.php?page=GTK+Sample

and he seemed pretty happy.

Gilles;  I looked at Qt with some keen interest as I use KDE and I like the
features.  BUT; Qt is native C++ so it makes writing a binding layer one step
more hassle (extern "C" {} wrappers everywhere) so GTK+ will be the first GUI
target for OpenCOBOL, (from my point of view at least; others are more than
welcome to add other linkage), being straight up C and the linkage does not
require any mucking about with the C++ linker name mangling, .

With the recent addition of libguile linkage How-To, GTK+ can also be accessed
from the Scheme layer.  Anything on the Perl side can be accessed through the
cob_perl side, so wxWidgets is definitely a viable option already.  I'm still
working with Rildo's codebase to get smooth integration with Tcl/Tk
(currently functional and samples have been posted), but I'd like to spend my
whimsical time and attention on the GTK bindings.  There are a bag load of
features that Glib, GDK and GTK open up.  One next step may be peeling back
access to the GtkBuilder feature for XML UI design for those so inclined.

=====
A small pleading;  If anyone really wants to dig in, I'd prefer we work
together on http://add1tocobol.com and build up the GTK feature set.  There
are thousands of small functions to write and test and each one adds to the
pile of potential.
=====

When User FUNCTIONs are fully supported we'll really be able go to town with a
developer friendly GUI builder with the GTK+ layer.

Cheers,
Brian