Re: [open-cobol-list] OC on bare metal, foresee any major issues?

From: Bernard Giroud
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] OC on bare metal, foresee any major issues?
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 09:37:16 +0100

Le 09/02/2013 22:30, Patrick a écrit :
I haven't really wanted to program in C(although I am interested in open
Cobol internals now). About 15 months ago I started to learn Ada as I
wanted to use it for embedded design. I thought that since it's billed
as an embedded language and is part of GCC it ought to be able to target
all the devices that GCC supports and do so without an operating system.

I own 53lbs of Ada books now, I really love the language and the
community but it's like finding out that your wife is already married to
another dude and has 5 kids with him. Ada needs an OS under it and
unless you have $20K lying around your choices are Linux or Windows.

OC compiles to C, is there any reason I should not be able to cross
compile it? I can mix it with C or ASM to access the very low level
stuff right?
Yes you can; saving the C code and using a cross-compile chain tool.
But I'm not quite sure it will wipe out your disappointment: C is a language not an OS, you will still need the low level functions like open, ...

Bernard
  Does anyone see any issues, i am about to dive in and I
might crack my head on the shallow end of the pool again-Patrick