Re: Playing Accountant

From: Rich Bodo
Subject: Re: Playing Accountant
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:24:40 -0800 (PST)

You can say that 1 dollar = 1 dollar at any point in time, but you
can't say that one dollar today is one dollar tomorrow.  Likewise with
any monetary comparison.  At any given point, a value behaviour can be
observed in the market, but there can be no fixed value standard.

A value standard is an interesting philosophical issue, but I believe
it to be practically insoluble.  In 100 years, when we live out our
lives in a computer system after our minds are scanned, we will
measure our lifetimes in MIPs or something, which may be just like
currency.  Of course, even then, something we cannot fathom will come
along and value will shift.

I guess that designing a system to make calculations relative to
currency X (where X is the U.S. dollar or whatever) is as good as
any.  If you wanted to know your inventory value, you can always
convert it from dollars to Euro's at a given instant.

-Rich

Rich Bodo | address@hidden | 650-964-4678